Help Paying For Child Care
DHSs Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education helps eligible families with limited incomes cover the cost of high-quality child care. To be eligible, families must not exceed eligible income and must:
- work at least 30 hours a week
- attend school full time
- spend at least 30 hours a week in a job training program
Based on your income, you may get assistance to pay for all or some of your child care. To learn more and find out how to apply, visit our child care assistance page. To learn more about short-term Essential Worker Child Care Assistance, visit our FAQ page.
Help Paying Your Rent
DHS has two programs that can help you pay your rent if you are struggling due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Arkansas Rent Relief Program launches May 17 and you can apply starting that day at ar.gov/rentrelief. The other assistance is paid for through the federal Emergency Solutions Grant Program. You must apply with the organization in your county that is handling this program for DHS. You can find a list on our website.
If you live in Benton, Pulaski, or Washington counties, these counties have their own rent relief programs and are already accepting applications. You can apply online: Benton, Pulaski, or Washington.
State Online Application For Medicaid Food Stamp Or Cash
Some State Medicaid/Social Service offices now provide an online application form to apply for Medicaid, Food Stamp or Cash Assistance benefits. Please click on the links provided to locate your State application for Medicaid Food Stamp or Cash Assistance benefits.
|WY Medicaid Online Application|
Some state Medicaid websites may also provide a download application or a requirement to apply at your local medicaid/social service office. Keep in mind, before you file it is always best to check with your State Medicaid/Social Service office to determine the best way to apply for benefits.
Typical information needed for your online medicaid benefits application:
- Social Security number If you do not have a number, you need to show proof that you have applied for one.
- Proof of citizenship A birth certificate is usually enough.
- Proof of identity: You can use a drivers license, a federal, state or local government, or military ID card.
- Proof of pregnancy If you are pregnant, you must show proof that you are pregnant. You must also show the date the baby is due.
- Proof of income You must show your earned and unearned income. You can show earned income with your pay check stubs for the past month. This could also be child support or unemployment compensation benefits. If you are self-employed, you should show a copy ofof your last years income tax return.
Also Check: Food Stamp Office San Diego
Combined Application For Public Benefits
You may apply for one or more of the following public benefits programs:
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
Complete and submit an application through one of the following methods:
Mobile Phone: Download the District Direct Mobile App to your phone from the Apple or Google Play stores. View more information about District Direct here.
Android phone users may download District Direct through the
iPhone users may download District Direct through the Apple App Store
Mail: Download the combined application for public benefits, complete and sign it, and mail to:
Department of Human Services | Economic Security AdministrationCase Record Management UnitP.O. Box 91560Washington, DC 20090
All applications must be signed and dated and submitted to DHS to begin processing. Verification documents or changes may be submitted using the online public benefits application.
The following comparison chart provides an overview of public benefits available in the District and different ways to apply:
Residents with questions about their public benefits provided by DHS should contact the DHS Public Benefits Call Center at 727-5355 from 7:30 am – 4:45 pm, Monday – Friday.
Mid-certifications & Recertifications of Public Benefits
What Happens When You Apply
- The Application and Application Rights You must complete and submit an application to determine if you are able to get benefits.
- What Happens When You Apply For Assistance? Overview of what happens after you’ve submitted your application.
- Verification What should I bring with me when I apply for assistance?
- Cash Benefits Benefit access dates.
Recommended Reading: Apply For Food Stamps In Oklahoma City
Curious What You Might Qualify For Use This Pre
- Bridge to Benefits: This screening tool was developed by the Children’s Defense Fund to help individuals and families learn if they might qualify for benefits from some North Dakota programs. NOTE: It does not include the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program.
NOTE: Only by completing the application process, will you know with certainty whether you qualify.
Help For Adults And Seniors To Stay Safely In Their Homes
DHS has several programs that are designed to help adults with physical disabilities and seniors stay in their homes and communities rather than go to s skilled nursing facility. To apply for the programs below, please reach out to your local county office. If you would like to talk to a counselor about your options, call the Choices in Living Resource Center at 1-866-801-3435 or email .
ARChoices in Home Care provides attendant care, home-delivered meals, personal emergency response systems, adult day services, and respite care. Independent Choices is like ARChoices in Home Care, but the client is responsible for hiring, training, and supervising his or her in-home workers from Medicaid funds the client or his/her representative control.
Living Choices Assisted Living is a Medicaid program that pays for apartment-style housing for people who need extra care and supervision. Its for people who are at risk of being placed in a nursing home or who are in a nursing home and want more independence.
Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly is for people age 55 and older who have been determined by the state, based on specific criteria, to need nursing home care. PACE allows them to live as independently as they can.
Also Check: Ky Food Stamp Income Limits
What It Offers
Helps people buy the food they need for good health. People also can buy garden seeds with SNAP benefits.
SNAP food benefits are put on to the Lone Star Card and can be used just like a credit card at any store that accepts SNAP.
SNAP cant be used to:
- Buy tobacco.
- Buy things you can’t eat or drink.
- Pay for food bills you owe.
Who Is It For
- People who dont have a lot of money as long as they meet program rules.
- Most adults age 18 to 49 with no children in the home can get SNAP for only 3 months in a 3-year period. The benefit period might be longer if the person works at least 20 hours a week or is in a job or training program. Some adults might not have to work to get benefits, such as those who have a disability or are pregnant.
Also Check: Oregon Food Stamps Income Limits 2020
Help Accessing Services For Someone With Developmental Disabilities Or Delays
DHS provides lots of different services and supports for clients with developmental disabilities or delays and their families. It may be a bit overwhelming for families who have never had to access these services so we are here to help.
We have an intake and referral unit within our Division of Developmental Disabilities that can help you walk through the process for applying for services. The best way to start is to call our DDS intake and referral unit at 501-683-5687. Staff there can help you navigate the different programs, eligibility requirements, and application process for:
Health Care Snap And Tea
For most DHS public assistance programs, you can apply online. To apply for food assistance through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program , cash, and other supports through the Transitional Employment Assistance program, or Medicaid, ARKids, TEFRA, and health care under other categories of Medicaid, go to www.Access.Arkansas.gov.
Learn more about the new featureson Access Arkansas that make it easy to apply and manage your information online:
- Submit a single application for an entire family online, by mail or phone, or in person at local county offices statewide
- Renew your case or update information online
- Upload documents
- Read notices from DHS and set up text and email alerts
- Check the status of applications or renewals
Watch step-by-step videos of how to create an account, apply, upload documents, set up text alerts and more!
For other services, such as assistance paying for child care or accessing services through the Division of Developmental Disabilities waiver, the process is a bit different. You can learn more about the steps you need to take to apply for those programs below.
Read Also: Lexington Kentucky Food Stamp Office
Help Paying For Nursing Home Care
Medicaid does cover nursing home care for individuals who Arkansans who meet both medical needs and financial criteria. This is called Long Term Services and Supports . You will need to fill out the application, which can be found on our website, and then submit it and any other needed documents to your local county office.
What Is Snap
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program offers a monthly benefit to help you buy food and food products, such as seeds and plants to grow food. This monthly benefit is loaded to an Electronic Benefit Transfer card and cannot be withdrawn as cash. Your monthly benefit amount will depend on your income and the size of your household.
Read Also: Apply For Food Stamps In Oklahoma City