Returning Or Submitting Documents
Eligible clients receiving temporary cash assistance are required to engage in work and/or educational activities in most cases. Learn more about educational opportunities on our Training and Education page.
All Cash Assistance and SNAP applicants that have been approved for benefits will receive an EBT card in the mail. If your EBT card has not yet arrived, you can go to the Brooklyn OTC site for your permanent card, or one of seven open center locations for a temporary card that will have all benefits available until the EBT card arrives. Please see the list of locations here.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is a federal program funded through the U.S. Department of Agriculture and administered at the federal level through its Food and Nutrition Service . State agencies administer the program at the state and local levels, including determination of eligibility and monthly allotments. In Hawaii, this service is provided by the Department of Human Services Benefit, Employment & Support Services Division .
What is SNAP?
The SNAP program provides crucial food and nutritional support to qualifying low-income and needy households, and those making the transition from welfare to self-sufficiency. In FY 2014, SNAP helped put food on the table for an estimated 193,565 Hawaii residents .
The Hawaii Electronic Benefit Transfer Program
The Hawaii Electronic Benefit Transfer system processes financial assistance benefits provided by BESSD. Payments distributed through this system are for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families , Temporary Assistance for Other Needy Families , General Assistance , Aid to the Aged, Blind or Disabled , Repatriates, Childcare, Employment and Training , First-To-Work and the SNAP programs.
Clients use an EBT debit card to access their cash and/or SNAP benefits at authorized food retailers through their Point of Sale machines and Automated Teller Machines . Allpoint® Global Surcharge-Free ATM Networks are located across the state. Visit this website to find the system nearest to you.
Work Requirements Are Suspended
Following federal guidance, work requirements for Nutrition and Cash Assistance recipients are temporarily suspended while the COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect employment opportunities. The DES website is not the main source of information for Tribal TANF work requirements. Tribal TANF work requirements have been suspended, please contact your Tribal TANF program for more information.
Cash Assistance helps families meet their basic needs for well-being and safety and serves as their path to self-sufficiency. The Cash Assistance program provides temporary cash benefits and supportive services to the neediest of Arizona’s children and their families.
Read Also: How Old Can You Be To Get Food Stamps
What It Offers
Helps people buy the food they need for good health. People also can buy garden seeds with SNAP benefits.
SNAP food benefits are put on to the Lone Star Card and can be used just like a credit card at any store that accepts SNAP.
SNAP cant be used to:
- Buy tobacco.
- Buy things you can’t eat or drink.
- Pay for food bills you owe.
Who Is It For
- People who dont have a lot of money as long as they meet program rules.
- Most adults age 18 to 49 with no children in the home can get SNAP for only 3 months in a 3-year period. The benefit period might be longer if the person works at least 20 hours a week or is in a job or training program. Some adults might not have to work to get benefits, such as those who have a disability or are pregnant.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Get Internet With Food Stamps
How Do I Apply For Food Cash And Health Insurance Assistance How Are Assistance Programs Adjusting For Covid
New Jersey has an online application and screening tool, NJHelps, that can be used to see if you are eligible for food assistance , cash assistance , and health Insurance . From there, you can apply for services or learn about additional resources.
To learn more about NJ SNAP and apply for help buying groceries, you can also visit, .
To apply for support through the NJ WIC Program , applicants can visit and contact their local WIC office by phone. During the coronavirus outbreak, new applicants will be assessed, certified and issued benefits remotely.
HEALTH INSURANCE UPDATES
Marketplace health insurance plans and financial help are now only available through New Jersey’s state-run health-care exchange Get Covered New Jersey at getcovered.nj.gov.
New Jersey extended the window for eligible uninsured residents to enroll in a health insurance plan through the marketplace or directly from carriers through a COVID-19 Special Enrollment Period, which runs through December 31, 2021.
To learn more about insurance subsidies and how to apply, visit getcovered.nj.gov.
SNAP Work Activities: During the current public health crisis, your case will not be closed if you are unable to participate in a work activity.
Information Needed For Eligibility
Whether you are applying for the first time, or renewing your benefits, you may need one or more of the following pieces of information to determine whether you are eligible:
- Proof of citizenship and identity for everyone who is applying for benefits.
- Alien Registration Cards, if there are non-U.S. citizens applying for benefits in your household.
- Social Security numbers for everyone, or proof that a Social Security number has been applied for.
- Proof of relationship, birth certificates may be used.
- Name, address & daytime phone number of landlord or neighbor.
- A statement verifying your address and the names of everyone living with you. The statement must be made by a non-relative who doesnât live with you. It must be signed, dated and include that person’s address and telephone number.
- Proof of ALL money your household received from any source last month and this month.
- Proof that your employment ended and last date paid.
- Bank or credit union complete statement for the most recent month.
- Proof of savings bonds, securities, retirement plans and life insurance.
- Proof of rent/mortgage and utility bills for the most recent month.
- Proof of child care expenses for the most recent month.
When possible, please include this information with your application.
Recommended Reading: I Need A Food Stamp Card
Snap Benefits And Financial Assistance Application Snap Recertification Click Here
When you submit your application, you will receive a receipt with your tracking number. This means we have received your application. DHS will contact you for your interview.
Due to the increase in applications and the subsequent workload at Processing Centers, there may be delays in processing and replies to voice mails. Providing you with timely service is very important to us.
There are 3 ways to submit your application:
*Paper form Once complete, you may print and sign the form, then mail it, or drop it off at a processing center as noted above.
Current Recipients of SNAP:
Some of the information about in-person contact below is not applicable during the COVID-19 crisis:
During normal circumstances, the form is also available for pick up from all State benefits offices. After you have filled out your application and gathered all the required paperwork to verify your information, visit the benefits office closest to your residence.
|Note: 200% BBCE MGI is based on 100% SNAP/FPL|
Monthly Application Timeliness Rates FFY 2021
Monthly Participation Rates SFY 2021
ARCHIVE SNAP Monthly Participation Rates
What Do I Need To Bring When I Apply For Calworks
On the day you apply for CalWORKs assistance, you will be asked to complete some forms and to listen to an explanation of your rights and responsibilities. You will be given an appointment to return within one working day to see an Eligibility Worker and complete the application process. To expedite the process, you are advised to bring the following items with you if applicable:
- Social Security Card or verification that they have applied for all family members
- Statements of Bank Accounts and any other resources
- Proof of United States citizenship
- Proof from US Citizenship & Immigration Services of permanent resident alien status.
Also Check: What’s The Website To Apply For Food Stamps
How Do I Provide Additional Information When Requested
To serve you better and to make sure you get all the benefits you qualify for, please:
- Give us all requested information as soon as possible
- Let us know if you need help getting information. We can assist you.
You can mail or fax copies of the requested information. Please do not turn in original documents.
When you apply online, you can upload requested information or fax it with a cover sheet. in Health-e-Arizona Plus titled ‘How do I fax documents to HEAplus’).
Important Information About Recertifications
- Recertifications: If you receive a Cash Assistance or SNAP recertification notice by mail or an ACCESS HRA alert that you need to recertify, you must submit your recertification or your benefits will stop. You can use ACCESS HRA, fax, mail, or a drop box at open centers to submit your recertification. Please make sure that we have your correct phone number. You can check it and update it on ACCESS HRA websiteor the ACCESS HRA Mobile App. View the below sections to see how you can submit your recertification and supporting documents.
- CA 6-month mailer and SNAP periodic report: Starting July 2021, if you do not return your SNAP periodic report or Cash Assistance mailer your case will close.
New! If you receive Cash Assistance and have lost your job or need to request a case change, you can now go to ACCESS HRA website and the mobile app to submit a case change online. Please make sure to upload documents in support of your request.
Also Check: How To Apply For Food Stamps In Michigan
Renewal Requirements Are Being Reinstated
The USDA Food and Nutrition Service waiver to extend certification periods is ending. Nutrition Assistance and Cash Assistance recipients whose benefits are set to expire on or after May 31, 2021, will need to renew their benefits in order to continue receiving assistance, if they have already received a six-month extension since November 2020. Affected households will receive a notice with instructions on how to complete the renewal process.
Temporary Assistance For Needy Families Pandemic Emergency Assistance Funds
The Department of Economic Security will be paying limited additional benefits to families who are eligible to receive TANF Cash Assistance , TANF Two-Parent Employment Program , or Grant Diversion payments. Funding for the additional benefits was authorized under the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. The additional benefit will be paid to eligible families for October, November and December 2021.
For families receiving TANF CA or TPEP CA, the maximum payment is $110 per month for each eligible child. Eligible families may receive up to three months of payments.Families receiving GD will receive a maximum payment of $330 for each eligible child. This will be a one-time only payment. Families who are eligible to receive the additional benefit will receive a notice informing them of the additional amount they will receive.
The additional benefit will be available on the regular Electronic Benefit Transfer card, issued separately from regular benefit payments.
Don’t Miss: Food Stamp Office In Garland Texas
What Are Calworks Recipients Responsibilities
- Recipients must inform their worker about specific changes that might affect their benefits within 10 days. The worker will explain the Rights and Responsibilities on what must be reported. Correct and timely reporting is important because the recipient must pay back benefits if too much is issued.
- Recipients must submit a report semi-annually that gives the information needed to make sure that the rules are still being met. This report is called a SAR 7 Eligibility Status Report.
- The Welfare-to-Work program can help recipients get the skills needed to get a job. Recipients will be asked to attend an Orientation that will give information regarding the responsibilities in finding a job.
Need Help Applying Online
If you would like someone to help you complete the on-line application you may contact one of our community partners. Going to a community partner will help minimize the time spent at the DES local office. Also, many community partners offer other services that help people with little or no income. Visit the Arizona Community Action Find Help page to find out where you can find help near your home.
Connect with Us!
Stay up-to-date with news and updates delivered straight to your inbox
Also Check: Can You Use Food Stamps With Instacart
How To Apply
You may apply for CalWORKs online or in person.
My Benefits CalWIN website allows you:
- See if you are eligible for CalWORKs
- Apply for CalWORKs benefits
- Check your CalWORKs benefit status and amount
1. Online or click on icon below:
Watch a video to learn how to apply on the MyBenefits CalWIN website on
You still are required to attend a face-to-face interview at your nearest Family Resource Center to complete the application process.
If you are requesting Immediate Need , is recommended that you apply in person at the nearest Family Resource Center.
2. In person
Visit your local Family Resource Center that accepts applications for the CalWORKs program. To locate the nearest Family Resource Center, select a facility listed below. You can also obtain office locations by zip code. If you are homeless, use the zip code of the area where you sleep the majority of the time.
3. By calling Access Call Center 1-866-262-9881
Documents needed to apply:
Be prepared to provide all verifications/documents needed for everyone applying for benefits. Please follow this link: to obtain details regarding required documents this list is not inclusive. It is very important to provide all verifications to be evaluated for eligibility promptly.
How It Works
Your family can get cash if you are in need. The funds come on a debit card that you can use at any ATM or store where EBT cards are accepted.
Update: Return your Cash Assistance 6-month mailer and SNAP periodic report to HRA. Starting July 2021, if you do not return your Cash Assistance mailer or SNAP periodic report, your case will close.
- Requires proof of identity, where you live, income, and citizenship status
- You must be a US citizen or have satisfactory immigration status to receive Cash Assistance a worker will help you learn your status when you apply
- If you are able to work, you will either need to be working, in an education or training program, or participate in a program assigned to you in order to get Cash Assistance
- You can get money for emergencies, including: eviction, energy and utility bills, natural disasters, and your safety or health
- Apply in person, or have an interview at home if you are homebound
For each resource of each resource holder, any one document:
Also Check: File For Food Stamps In Iowa