What It Offers
Helps people buy the food they need for good health. People also can buy garden seeds with SNAP benefits.
SNAP food benefits are put on to the Lone Star Card and can be used just like a credit card at any store that accepts SNAP.
SNAP cant be used to:
- Buy tobacco.
- Buy things you can’t eat or drink.
- Pay for food bills you owe.
Who Is It For
- People who dont have a lot of money as long as they meet program rules.
- Most adults age 18 to 49 with no children in the home can get SNAP for only 3 months in a 3-year period. The benefit period might be longer if the person works at least 20 hours a week or is in a job or training program. Some adults might not have to work to get benefits, such as those who have a disability or are pregnant.
How To Apply For Food Cash And Medical Assistance
Applying for food, cash and medical assistance through Hamilton County is a several step process. Please read the following information carefully to ensure your application is processed as quickly as possible. Please note it may take up to 30 days to complete your application. We complete cases in the order that they are received and when all verification documents have been received.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Get Food Stamps In Texas
New Standard Medical Deduction
Households with elderly participants or participants with a disability may receive one of the following deductions from their income:
- A Standard Medical Deduction of $160 minus a $35 disregard which equals $125 or,
- An actual monthly out-of-pocket medical expense deduction, minus a $35 disregard when expenses exceed the $160 SMD amount.
Participants are required to verify expenses over $35 to receive the SMD. All expenses must be verified when a participant chooses to claim actual out-of-pocket medical expenses above $160.
Work Program Participation Is Suspended
Following federal guidance, work program participation for Nutrition and Cash Assistance recipients is temporarily suspended while the COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect employment opportunities. The DES website is not the main source of information for Tribal TANF work requirements. Tribal TANF work requirements have been suspended, please contact your Tribal TANF program for more information.
Read Also: How To Get Extra Food Stamps
Basic Information For Snap Applicants
You may be eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program but you need to talk to an eligibility specialist about your eligibility.
Visit Your Local Family Resource Center And Request An Application
Bring in all verifications/documents needed to apply for everyone applying for benefits. For a list of needed verifications, click the Application Process Tips link. It is very important to bring all verifications to be evaluated for eligibility promptly. The date of application is the date the application is received by the Family Resource Center.
Don’t Miss: What Are The Qualifications To Get Food Stamps
Application For Cash Assistance Snap And Medical Assistance Benefits
- Read this in:
Get Legal Help from the Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network
News Updates from PALawHelp.org
Return Any Additional Verification Documents
At the end of your telephone interview, your caseworker will inform you of any additional verifications needed to complete your case. The sooner you return the verifications, the sooner your case can be completed.
Return those verification documents to us with your name and case number or social security number on ALL documents.
Fax your documents to 946-1076
Deliver in person
Documents can be scanned at HCJFSs agency kiosk at HCJFSs main location:
222 East Central Parkway
You May Like: I Need To Fill Out A Food Stamp Application
Combined Application For Public Benefits
You may apply for one or more of the following public benefits programs:
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
Complete and submit an application through one of the following methods:
Mobile Phone: Download the District Direct Mobile App to your phone from the Apple or Google Play stores. View more information about District Direct here.
Android phone users may download District Direct through the
iPhone users may download District Direct through the Apple App Store
Mail: Download the combined application for public benefits, complete and sign it, and mail to:
Department of Human Services | Economic Security AdministrationCase Record Management UnitP.O. Box 91560Washington, DC 20090
All applications must be signed and dated and submitted to DHS to begin processing. Verification documents or changes may be submitted using the online public benefits application.
The following comparison chart provides an overview of public benefits available in the District and different ways to apply:
Residents with questions about their public benefits provided by DHS should contact the DHS Public Benefits Call Center at 727-5355 from 7:30 am – 4:45 pm, Monday – Friday.
Mid-certifications & Recertifications of Public Benefits
What Happens When You Apply
- The Application and Application Rights You must complete and submit an application to determine if you are able to get benefits.
- What Happens When You Apply For Assistance? Overview of what happens after you’ve submitted your application.
- Verification What should I bring with me when I apply for assistance?
- Cash Benefits Benefit access dates.
Don’t Miss: Whats The Cut Off For Food Stamps
Renewal Requirements Are Being Reinstated
The USDA Food and Nutrition Service waiver to extend certification periods is ending. Nutrition Assistance and Cash Assistance recipients whose benefits are set to expire on or after May 31, 2021, will need to renew their benefits in order to continue receiving assistance, if they have already received a six-month extension since November 2020. Affected households will receive a notice with instructions on how to complete the renewal process.
Information Needed For Eligibility
Whether you are applying for the first time, or renewing your benefits, you may need one or more of the following pieces of information to determine whether you are eligible:
- Proof of citizenship and identity for everyone who is applying for benefits.
- Alien Registration Cards, if there are non-U.S. citizens applying for benefits in your household.
- Social Security numbers for everyone, or proof that a Social Security number has been applied for.
- Proof of relationship, birth certificates may be used
- Name, address & daytime phone number of landlord or neighbor.
- A statement verifying your address and the names of everyone living with you. The statement must be made by a non-relative who doesnt live with you. It must be signed, dated and include that person’s address and telephone number.
- Proof of ALL money your household received from any source last month and this month.
- Proof that your employment ended and last date paid.
- Bank or credit union complete statement for the most recent month.
- Proof of savings bonds, securities, retirement plans and life insurance.
- Proof of rent/mortgage and utility bills for the most recent month.
- Proof of child care expenses for the most recent month.
- Proof of all medical expenses for those applying for benefits who are age 60 or older or receive disability benefits.
When possible, please include this information with your application.
Read Also: How To Apply For A Food Stamp Phone
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
As the cornerstone of the United States Department of Agriculture nutrition assistance programs, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program program plays a vital role in helping to improve nutrition in the nation, particularly among low-income individuals. The goal of SNAP-Education is to improve the likelihood that persons eligible for SNAP will make healthy food choices within a limited budget and choose physically active lifestyles consistent with the current Dietary Guidelines for Americans and MyPlate. The Kern County Department of Human Services partners with other organizations in order to provide nutrition and physical activity education services to CalFresh participants and those potentially eligible. The project focuses on areas within Kern County with a high number of CalFresh participants and also populations at or below 185% FPL) as well as areas that are entirely devoid of CalFresh nutrition education services.
Eat Right When Money’s Tight
Need Help Applying Online
If you would like someone to help you complete the on-line application you may contact one of our community partners. Going to a community partner will help minimize the time spent at the DES local office. Also, many community partners offer other services that help people with little or no income. Visit the Arizona Community Action Find Help page to find out where you can find help near your home.
Connect with Us!
Stay up-to-date with news and updates delivered straight to your inbox
You May Like: Do Food Stamps Roll Over In Nc
What Snap Offers
SNAP offers nutrition assistance to buy healthy food.
Most households must spend some of their own cash along with their SNAP benefits to buy the food they need.
If there is a pregnant woman or a child five years old or younger in your home, the Women, Infant, Children Supplemental Nutrition Program may also be able to help with food and teaching about nutrition. Call your local Health Department, or go to this link WIC to find out more.
The amount of SNAP a household receives per month is called an allotment. The allotment is based on the number of people in the household and the amount of money the household earns each month.