About Hidalgo County Food Stamp Offices
The Hidalgo County Food Stamp Office refers to the Texas State agency that administers the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program in Hidalgo County, TX. Commonly referred to as “Food Stamps,” SNAP benefits are a form of nutrition assistance provided to income-eligible households in Hidalgo County through the U.S. Department of Agriculture . SNAP Offices provide benefits intended to reduce food insecurity and poverty by supplementing the food purchasing power of low-income households.
You may contact Food Stamp Offices for questions about:
- Hidalgo County food stamp eligibility
- Applying for food stamps and SNAP food benefit
- Calculating SNAP benefits
Colorado Food Assistance Benefit Calculator
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or Food Assistance provides a monthly benefit for low-income households to buy food. Money is issued on Electronic Benefit Transfer cards that can be used at most grocery stores to buy food so families have access to the nutrition they need to thrive.
The Food Assistance Benefit Calculator is a tool for estimating eligibility for food benefits and the amount you may be eligible to receive. The Food Assistance program serves low-income households that earning at or below 130% of the Federal Poverty Level.
The information provided by the Food Assistance Benefit Calculator is only an estimate and not a substitute for an official determination by a county eligibility technician. The SNAP eligibility rules can be complicated. Please contact your county human services office or the Hunger Free Colorado Helpline if you have any questions about your eligibility for SNAP.
How To Apply For Food Stamps
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is a federally funded program to provide food assistance to low-income individuals and families. SNAP is funded by the federal government and administered through the states. Many states also work with other local agencies to provide ongoing nutritional education and training to SNAP recipients.
You can apply for food stamps online in most states, or at a local state or county office. Once the initial application is filled out, you will follow up with a face-to-face interview, and you will be required to provide verification of your income and expenses. If you are elderly or physically unable to travel to the office for the interview, you can apply for a waiver. If granted, the face-to-face interview will be replaced with a phone interview or home visit.
When applying for SNAP, they look at the income, resources, and size of the household. For this situation, a household is defined by people that live together and purchase and prepare food together. When looking at income and resources, it is the total of all members of the household, not just the head of household.
Here is the step-by-step process to apply for food stamps.
Recommended Reading: Ebt Restaurants San Diego
How To Apply For Snap Online
Online application procedures for food stamps differ in each state.
However, most online applications for the SNAP program require residents to create an account for the online customer application portal.
After creating their user identity, users can access the application. This method of application is considered to be the easiest and most convenient method.
That is because online applications are submitted electronically and sent to the appropriate SNAP agency for review.
Prior to beginning their online application, residents should gather certain essential documents to help them correctly fill out their forms.
These documents can include:
- Statements from other benefit programs.
- W-2 forms.
After submission of the application and any necessary verification documents, a food stamp office representative will calculate the households finances.
This will help to determine if the applicants qualify for the program.
Recommended Reading: Lexington Food Stamp Office
How Long Will I Get Help
You can get SNAP benefits for as long as you are eligible for help. You will be required to complete a mid-certification and a recertification each year you get SNAP to make sure your household is still eligible. If you do not return your information by the deadline on the form, you may lose your benefits.
- Your mid-certification will happen halfway through your benefit period. You will get a form in the mail that you will need to complete and return to the Family Support Division.
- Around the end of your SNAP benefit period, you will get a recertification form in the mail. You will need to complete this form, return it to the Family Support Division, and complete an interview to continue getting SNAP benefits.
NOTE: It is important that you report any changes to your contact information, including your address, so you will get these important letters in the mail. If you do not respond to mail from the FSD, you could lose your benefit.
Recommended Reading: Apply For Food Stamps In Oklahoma City
When And How Will I Get My Summer P
Child care-aged children who received SNAP food benefits at any time between June 2021August 2021 will automatically receive summer P-EBT benefits on their Lone Star Card Oct. 1115.
If you received 20202021 school year P-EBT benefits because you completed the P-EBT online application or you automatically received benefits because you were part of a SNAP family, you will have summer P-EBT benefits automatically loaded on your Lone Star Card or P-EBT Card Nov. 29Dec. 3.
Families that do not receive SNAP benefits and are newly eligible for summer P-EBT will have a P-EBT Card mailed to them with P-EBT benefits loaded Dec. 610.
Immigrant Status And Eligibility
The 2002 Farm Bill restores SNAP eligibility to most legal immigrants that:
- Have lived in the country for 5 years or
- Are receiving disability-related assistance or benefits or
- Have children under 18
Certain non-citizens, such as those admitted for humanitarian reasons and those admitted for permanent residence, may also be eligible for SNAP. Eligible household members can get SNAP benefits even if there are other members of the household that are not eligible.
You May Like: Alabama Food Stamp Eligibility Calculator
Who Can Be Included In My Snap Case
- A SNAP household may consist of an individual or a group of individuals who purchase food and prepare meals together.
- Each eligible SNAP household member must be a United States citizen or meet non-citizen requirements.
- A non-citizen is required to provide their United States Citizenship and Immigration Services documentation and the Agency must verify the validity of the provided documents through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements program. The SAVE Program is a service that helps federal, state, and local benefit-issuing agencies, institutions, and licensing agencies determine the immigration status of benefit applicants so only those entitled to benefits receive them.
Do I Have To Apply For Summer P
There is no P-EBT application for summer 2021 P-EBT benefits. However, some families may need to complete the school year 20202021 P-EBT application. If you were eligible for 20202021 school year P-EBT benefits, did NOT receive SNAP benefits at any time between August 2020August 2021, and have not already completed the 2020-2021 school year P-EBT online application, you can complete the 20202021 school year P-EBT online application by Sept. 13 to see if you are eligible for 2020-2021 school year and summer 2021 P-EBT.
The school year 2020-2021 P-EBT application link is . You must type this link exactly as it appears here, making sure to capitalize every letter that is capitalized here. To complete the application, you will need the childs Social Security number or student S-number, and the name of the childs school and district.
Don’t Miss: Food Stamp Office In Elizabethtown Kentucky
Next Steps For Apply For Snap Benefits
What happens after you apply for SNAP benefits?
1. We will contact you to schedule an interview
- You can have the interview over the phone or at a local office.
- We will provide an interpreter if you do not speak English.
- During the interview, we will determine if you are eligible for emergency SNAP benefits.
2. You will need to verify the information you tell us
- You need to verify your income and expenses. For more information, see SNAP Verifications
- You may need to verify more information, which we will explain to you once you have had your interview.
Read Also: Tulsa County Dhs Food Stamps
How To Use The Iowa Ebt Card
The Iowa EBT card is what SNAP enrollees use when making purchases with their food stamps. EBT, which stands for Electronic Benefits Transfer, provides beneficiaries with a safe and fast way to receive their funds each month. Candidates who are eager to begin using their funds may ask, How long does it take to get an Iowa EBT card? These tools are issued to claimants once the DHS has formally accepted their applications and they are admitted into the program.
With the Iowa EBT benefits card, enrollees have much more flexibility when it comes to managing their accounts and how they wish to spend their funds. For example, beneficiaries can easily check their EBT card balance and report to the DHS if someone steals their cards. SNAP recipients must remember they are permitted to purchase the following items with benefits:
- Snack foods.
Read Also: 10060 Fuqua Houston Tx 77089
Eligibility For Snap Benefits In Texas
The majority of SNAP benefits are distributed in Texas to low-income families.
Low-income adults in Fort Worth who are 18 to 49 years old with no children and low-income can get SNAP benefits. However, the assistance will only be valid for three months.
Food stamp benefits in Texas may be extended if you work 20 hours a week or are enrolled in a training program for more than three months. Generally, the Texas SNAP program does not require low-income pregnant women and persons with disabilities to work in order to receive food stamps.
Corporate Influence And Support
In June 2014, Mother Jones reported that “Overall, 18 percent of all food benefits money is spent at Walmart,” and that Walmart had submitted a statement to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission stating,
Our business operations are subject to numerous risks, factors, and uncertainties, domestically and internationally, which are outside our control. These factors include… changes in the amount of payments made under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Plan and other public assistance plans, changes in the eligibility requirements of public assistance plans.
Companies that have lobbied on behalf of SNAP include PepsiCo, Coca-Cola, and the grocery chain Kroger. Kraft Foods, which receives “One-sixth revenues … from food stamp purchases” also opposes food stamp cuts.
Information Needed For Eligibility
Whether you are applying for the first time, or renewing your benefits, you may need one or more of the following pieces of information to determine whether you are eligible:
- Proof of citizenship and identity for everyone who is applying for benefits.
- Alien Registration Cards, if there are non-U.S. citizens applying for benefits in your household.
- Social Security numbers for everyone, or proof that a Social Security number has been applied for.
- Proof of relationship, birth certificates may be used
- Name, address & daytime phone number of landlord or neighbor.
- A statement verifying your address and the names of everyone living with you. The statement must be made by a non-relative who doesnt live with you. It must be signed, dated and include that personâs address and telephone number.
- Proof of ALL money your household received from any source last month and this month.
- Proof that your employment ended and last date paid.
- Bank or credit union complete statement for the most recent month.
- Proof of savings bonds, securities, retirement plans and life insurance.
- Proof of rent/mortgage and utility bills for the most recent month.
- Proof of child care expenses for the most recent month.
- Proof of all medical expenses for those applying for benefits who are age 60 or older or receive disability benefits.
When possible, please include this information with your application.
Does Snap Check Your Bank Account
Your Department of Social Services or food stamp issuing office may request current bank statements as part of the application process. The Federal Government requires verification of citizenship, income, Social Security numbers and other qualifying information additional verification is a state option.
Read Also: Ebt Acs Inc.alabama
Learn About School Meal Programs
Children from qualified households with a low income can get healthy meals or milk.
Two programs provide free or reduced-price meals at school:
Theyre enrolled in Head Start
Your children may qualify if your household income is within the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. These guidelines are based on federal poverty guidelines.
If your income is no more than 130 percent of the poverty level, they should qualify for free meals.
If your income is no more than 185 percent of the poverty level, they should qualify for reduced-price meals.
The summer food service program is open to all children and teens 18 and under at locations around the country. Find a site near you.
Snap Benefits Extended Through October
AUSTIN, Texas More emergency food benefit money will be provided for those in need for the month of October.
Gov. Greg Abbott announced Thursday the Texas Health and Human Services Commission will provide about $300 million in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program food benefits for the month of October as the state continues its response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The money is expected to help about 1.4 million Texas households.
HHSC got federal approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to extend the amount of SNAP benefits to recipients based on family size. All SNAP households will receive a minimum of $95 in emergency allotments.
Thank you to the USDA for authorizing these crucial benefits for more than 1.4 million Texas households,” Abbott said. “These emergency benefits will ensure that Texans can continue to put nutritious food on the table for their families.”
The additional emergency allotment should appear in accounts by Oct. 31.
We are grateful that well be able to continue to help Texans provide food for themselves and their families as we work together during this pandemic, said Wayne Salter, Texas HHS Access and Eligibility Services Deputy Executive Commissioner.
According to the state, more than $4.5 billion in benefits have been provided to Texans since April 2020.
Don’t Miss: Apply For Food Stamps Okc
Being Approved For Food Stamp Benefits
When you are found eligible for SNAP benefits, you will receive an Electronic Benefit Transfer card. Your benefits are automatically loaded onto the card each month. The card will work like a debit card with funds deducted from the account with each purchase. The card can only be used at stores that are approved to accept them.